Recently, because of a particularly bad flare-up of my hyperthyroidism, I’ve had to make some changes in the way I eat. For me, this meant completely cutting out all wheat and iodized salt (no more eating out or “cheating” for me!). Due to the awful combination of hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia, I’ve also started adding coconut everywhere I can in my diet. I use coconut flakes as a snack and in my morning yogurt and use coconut oil and milk just about wherever I can in replace of other fats and such. Thankfully, being mostly dairy-free, I already use a number of coconut products in my cooking, so the adjustment wasn’t too difficult.
Today, I was bored of the few breakfast foods I’ve been cycling through and wanted to try something new. It turned out far better than I expected, so I decided to share my good fortune with all of you here. Whether you have hyperthyroidism or hypoglycemia or just want to try something new, this breakfast is nutrient-packed to help your blood sugar and metabolism. Plus, it’s super tasty!
You will need:
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
2 tbsp Qi’a superfood cereal (I used the cranberry vanilla flavor)
1/2 tbsp coconut oil (approx.)
1/2 tbsp raw honey (approx.)
Finely shredded coconut flakes (as desired)
1. Heat the coconut milk and coconut oil in a small saucepan on the stove.
2. Add the oats and Qi’a cereal, stirring frequently until the mixture begins to become more solid (like regular oatmeal).
3. Add the raw honey, stir well.
4. Remove from heat and serve, adding coconut flakes as desired and mixing well.
5. For added antioxidants/taste factor, enjoy with a glass of green tea.